29 December 2009

Feast of St. Thomas Becket and Our 'Catholic' Pols

Depending on the outcome of the healthcare bill now in conference the Bishops might have to take a cue from todays Saint and Martyr, Thomas Becket, in dealing with politicians who want to call themselves 'Catholic' even as they refuse to accept non-negotiable Church teaching. IMHO they can begin with Nancy Pelosi who made the following comments to Eleanor Clift for a Newsweek article. It can no longer be denied that her Bishop(s) have made clear the Catholic position vis a vis abortion and she refuses to accept this teaching. Instead she terms it a "difference of opinion."

I have some concerns about the church's position respecting a woman's right to choose. I have some concerns about the church's position on gay rights. I am a practicing Catholic, although they're probably not too happy about that. But it is my faith. I practically mourn this difference of opinion because I feel what I was raised to believe is consistent with what I profess, and that is that we are all endowed with a free will and a responsibility to answer for our actions. And that women should have that opportunity to exercise their free will. (to murder their babies)

You know, I had five children in six years. The day I brought my fifth baby home, that week my daughter turned 6. So I appreciate and value all that they want to talk about in terms of family and the rest. When I speak to my archbishop in San Francisco and his role is to try to change my mind on the subject, well then he is exercising his pastoral duty to me as one of his flock. When they call me on the phone here to talk about, or come to see me about an issue, that's a different story. Then they are advocates, and I am a public official, and I have a different responsibility.

No comments:

Disclaimer

This blog and the opinions are all my own and in no way imply the endorsement from any organization. Nor does a recommendation of another blog or web site imply my agreement or endorsement of everything found on their site.